AFR 3 on Vista as a User

General discussions about Advanced Find and Replace
MatthewK

AFR 3 on Vista as a User

Post by MatthewK »

Hello,

We have experienced a problem with AFR when people use it as a normal user (non-Administrator) on Windows Vista.
When you close the application it shows a messages that "File access denied."

We worked out the issue. To correct the problem, it is required to change the permissions on the default.cfg file in the programs directory (eg. C:\Program Files\Advanced Find and Replace 3) so that all users have modify permissions on the file. I assume this means that all users of the computer therefore share the same settings. So when a user opens up AFR they get the settings that the last user specified, rather than the last settings that they specified.

So... yes the claim that "AFR works on Windows ... Vista" might be true. But I gather that the product is not embracing the Windows philosophy of segmented user configuration and data settings. Would it really be that difficult to create or copy a version of default.cfg to a users %APPDATA% directory (eg. "C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Abacre\Advanced Find and Replace" )and then have the application look to this file in the this APPDATA location to open and save its configuration. The fact that this arrangement is not supported is a weakness in the product - especially as it continues forward on newer Windows systems.

AFR great for searches. Generally a Good product. But... could be better.

Abacre
Site Admin

Re: AFR 3 on Vista as a User

Post by Abacre »

Matthew,

Thank you for pointing out about this "file access denied" issue. We already knew that on Vista programs cannot write into files located in Program Files (default.cfg in this case). We will implement it as you explained in next update of AFR.
Kind regards,
Abacre Limited
http://www.abacre.com
support@abacre.com

anmldr

Re: AFR 3 on Vista as a User

Post by anmldr »

Roman,
I too am having this problem. I can of course find the file. I am the only one that uses this computer and AFR. So, I would like to change the cfg file so that settings are remembered between my uses of AFR. Which line needs to be changed and what does it need to read?

Linda