Advanced Find and Replace 4 on my Vista PC

General discussions about Advanced Find and Replace
vase

Advanced Find and Replace 4 on my Vista PC

Post by vase »

I have installed Advanced Find and Replace 4 on my Vista PC. Immediately after trying to start it Vista reports: "AFR.EXE has stoppe working" and no more messagre or explanation. The same AFR works fine on my XP PC.

What can I do?

VASE

Abacre
Site Admin

Re: Advanced Find and Replace 4 on my Vista PC

Post by Abacre »

Try to deactivate WEP on Vista. We made various test of AFR v4.0 it works fine on Vista. We will try to do other tests. Do you run it on Vista as administrator?
Kind regards,
Abacre Limited
http://www.abacre.com
support@abacre.com

jpwalters

Post by jpwalters »

Hi Roman,

I had Emailed you about this as well, but never heard back.... The same problem happens on AFR 4 under Windows Server 2008. As soom as you register the product, and launching it thereafter, the application crashes. My solution was to uninstall and reinstall with running unregistered, then the product runs fine, but I only have 3 days left on this machine. Turning off DEP might work for testing, but won't work out as a permanent fix.

Thanks,
Jason Walters

Abacre
Site Admin

Post by Abacre »

So, did "Turning off DEP" work or not? Can AFR be started on Vista with DEP turned off on your computer?

On our Vista computers it works very fine even with DEP turned on.

Thus we have to define is it DEP-related problem or is it another problem. After that we will take the corresponding actions.

Note: it's clear that it might be insecure to turn DEP completely off.
But you know that there are two ways of DEP turning off:
1. You can turn off DEP completely (for all programs).
2. Or you can have DEP turned on (for all programs by default) but you can make an exception for another program. I.e. you can turn off DEP specifically for AFR.
Kind regards,
Abacre Limited
support@abacre.com

jpwalters

Post by jpwalters »

Hi Roman,

Yes, turning off DEP for AFR works on both Vista and Windows 2008. However, it is not needed until the product is registered. Trial mode runs without the need for the DEP workaround.

Is this something that might be fixed in AFR 4.1?

Thanks,
Jason Walters

Abacre
Site Admin

Post by Abacre »

To protect AFR we are using third-party protection module from another company. So they said that in these cases you should use it with deactivated DEP for AFR. Maybe they will solve it in future. So AFR will be able to run with activated DEP. Or maybe we will use another protection module (or write our own protection module).
Thus right now you have to disable DEP in such cases.
Kind regards,
Abacre Limited
support@abacre.com