database questions

General discussions about Abacre Restaurant Point of Sale
kinz

database questions

Post by kinz »

hello there,
I just bought the Restaurant POS, and I have these two questions about the software:

1. If add my Menu items on one machine and want to use the same menu items on another(as I have bought two licences), what do I do (I guess I will have to copy and paste the database, and would require a password for that).
2. Is there an easy way of adding items to the Menu, like directly putting them on the database and they show up on the software?
3. If we selectively want to remove a particular date from the reports, how we do it.

I would really appreciate your help and if you could send me the information on my private email : which is my forum username @rediffmail.com

Thanks

Abacre
Site Admin

Re: database questions

Post by Abacre »

kinz wrote:1. If add my Menu items on one machine and want to use the same menu items on another(as I have bought two licenses), what do I do (I guess I will have to copy and paste the database, and would require a password for that).

In fact one computer will hold database file (*.mdb) and the second computer will connect to this file. You don't need the password for this purpose.
Please read: How to use Abacre Restaurant Point of Sale in network?

kinz wrote:2. Is there an easy way of adding items to the Menu, like directly putting them on the database and they show up on the software?

You should use [Import Items] button located on Configuration - Menu Items window (see bottom-right corner of the window).
So you may type menu items, for example, in MS Excel then you may save it as comma or tab separated file. And then you may import all the items into ARPOS.
kinz wrote:3. If we selectively want to remove a particular date from the reports, how we do it.

Please explain what do you mean? Do you need to delete all orders for specified date or something like this.
Kind regards,
Abacre Limited
http://www.abacre.com
support@abacre.com

kinz

Post by kinz »

Hey that was quick!

1. Both the computers are in different locations and no network between them. They are two different brach locations. So I will add or import the items on one computre, would I have to repeat the same procedure on the second one as well?

2. The administrator would like to delete the sales reports for the last month (after a back up) or last year.

Thanks

Abacre
Site Admin

Post by Abacre »

kinz wrote: 1. Both the computers are in different locations and no network between them. They are two different brach locations. So I will add or import the items on one computre, would I have to repeat the same procedure on the second one as well?
ARPOS information is saved in database files (*.mdb) and configuration files (*.cfg).
Read more: How to backup ARPOS data?
Therefore you may setup ARPOS on one computer. Then simply copy *.mdb and *.cfg files into second computer.
Read also: I turned on ARPOS on computer at home how can I transfer settings and data on computer at work (restaurant)?
kinz wrote: 2. The administrator would like to delete the sales reports for the last month (after a back up) or last year.
Reports are generated on saved orders. Orders are saved in database. So there are two solutions:
1. You may remove orders by Delete Order button.
OR
2. In reports you may produce a report for given period, for example, from May 1, 2007 to May 31, 2007. In this case you don't have to delete any orders.
Kind regards,
Abacre Limited
support@abacre.com

kinz

Post by kinz »

Thanks,
I shall give it a try and will get back to you in case I get stuck.

But you have been really helpful!

Cheers

kinz

Post by kinz »

Hi there,
I actually looked everywhere on the software to find a place to delete the sales reports with admin account.
Could you please help me a bit in this... What we want to do is-

a. we do want the orders to be seen as a report at the end of every week.
b. But we would like to delete the records after each month (after taking a back up)

So if you can guide me onto how to do this and how to take the backups before deletions.

Cheers

kinz

Post by kinz »

just to clarify my question above:

By orders, I meant that we would like the sales reports to be generated every week.
But after every month we delete the report or any record for the sales(orders) in that month.

Cheers

Abacre
Site Admin

Post by Abacre »

I think there are some questions about terminology:

You cannot "delete" reports. Because when you generate a report by pressing Show button, ARPOS will count all orders in database. Then it will finds totals for all orders and then it will display it as a report.
So I repeat:
Now you can display report for selected week. But all orders are saved (remain untouched) in database.

OR

You have to delete all orders from database and then produce reports for all orders in the database.
Now you can delete orders one-by-one: see Delete Order button located on Orders window.
But, we are going to add new feature: "Delete orders for specified period". Other customers asked about this feature. So we will implement it soon. With this feature you will be able to delete orders from database. Then reports will be produced only for remained in database orders. I think that's what you need.
Kind regards,
Abacre Limited
support@abacre.com

kinz

Post by kinz »

Yes, that would be it!

Do we have any dates specified for that release?

Thanks

Abacre
Site Admin

Post by Abacre »

It will be ready at the beginning of July.

But in fact what can you do right now for your purposes and maybe it will be even better solution:

You fill the database with menu items and other configurations. You may call the database file, for example, arpos-empty.mdb

So this database will contain information about all menu items, categories, workers and etc.

Then you simply copy this database and call it as arpos-week01.mdb

Thus, for the first week you use this arpos-week01.mdb database.

Then for the second week you create a new copy from arpos-empty.mdb file. And you name it as arpos-week02.mdb

In this way you may have an empty database (without any orders) at the beginning of every week.
Kind regards,
Abacre Limited
support@abacre.com