Replace Character Limit of 255 Characters

General discussions about Advanced Find and Replace
fmsquires

Replace Character Limit of 255 Characters

Post by fmsquires »

I am unable to replace with strings longer than 255 characters. Currently I am in need of replacing a minimum of 720 characters. This must be done in the batch mode.
Any input would be appreciated. I am looking to buy this software but not if I can't use it.

fm

Abacre
Site Admin

Post by Abacre »

AFR works fine in batch replace mode with longs text.
I have tried to find 917 chars text and replace it with 1187 chars
text. So it worked great.
Probably you misused some options: for example you used Whole Words
Only or other options.

Could you send to support@abacre.com a sample file and text to find
and text to replace in another file?
Kind regards,
Abacre Limited
http://www.abacre.com
support@abacre.com

fmsquires

Post by fmsquires »

Thanks. I will do that.

I have found that it was a limit of the text tab delimited file type in excel that was cropping my data to 255 characters.

I do have some other usage questions that I'd love to get some answers to.

FM

fmsquires

Did you receive my email?

Post by fmsquires »

Hello. I am posting the contents of my email incase you didn't receive it.

I think the problem may have been the tab delimited file limitations.
In excel I found that my data was being clipped to 255 characters after saving as tab delimited. Do you think it would work with a comma delimited file type better or what do you think the problem is. I do not have the word only box checked.
I am trying to use a wildcard as well and I think I am having trouble with that.

I would like to search inside of .axl files (basically .xml) and replace a given string with a wildcard with another defined string.

An example would be:
find: MAPTECH_13230_1*</LAYER>
Where the star should be the wildcard.
Replace with:
MAPTECH_14968_1.RASTER" type=="image" showcolormaplegend=="false" workspace=="sde_ws-20"/> <coordsys string=="PROJCS[&quot;World_Polyconic&quot;,GEOGCS[&quot;GCS_North_American_1983&quot;,DATUM[&quot;D_North_American_1983&quot;,SPHEROID[&quot;GRS_1980&quot;,6378137.0,298.257222101]],PRIMEM[&quot;Greenwich&quot;,0.0],UNIT[&quot;Degree&quot;,0.0174532925199433]],PROJECTION[&quot;Polyconic&quot;],PARAMETER[&quot;False_Easting&quot;,0.0],PARAMETER[&quot;False_Northing&quot;,0.0],PARAMETER[&quot;Central_Meridian&quot;,-88.833],PARAMETER[&quot;Latitude_Of_Origin&quot;,48.585525],UNIT[&quot;Meter&quot;,1.0]]"/> </LAYER>

The star (or whatever wildcard I should use) should be what is meant to be between the _1 and the first end layer tag </Layer> that it comes to in the document.

I'll tell you what I did and maybe you can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I first tried searching in folders which I'm pretty sure was the wrong idea because I think it was then looking for file names.
I then tried search in files and it took a little longer to complete so I was given hope that I was at least on the right track.
I have checked use regular expressions.
I added the mask *.axl so it would look in the axl files, is that right (I've also tried the regular expression #*# as a wildcard because I've used that before with useful file utilities batch replacer [their program doesn't seem to do what I want either] I would like to get a purchase order out for software that does this kind of thing but I'm having trouble getting any of the available programs to work)?
I created the tab delimited file in excel and was limited to 255 characters like I said above.
I have parsed the data into 240 character segments to work around this but it sounds like there is a better option and I am excited to hear about it.

I'm pretty sure that's it, but if you need any other information, please let me know.
Thanks.

fmsquires

Please Reply

Post by fmsquires »

Please get back to me. Thank you.

fmsquires

I guess that's a no...?

Post by fmsquires »

Merry Christmas.

Either you guys are on vacation, or your support is not very good. I guess I'll look elsewhere.

Max