Real time reports

General discussions about Abacre Restaurant Point of Sale
janrav

Real time reports

Post by janrav »

Hi:

I'd like to watch everything is happening in my restaurant in real time using my laptop with internet. At the restaurant there are two pc with internet and I want to know how can I do that. I often travel and I'd like to see in real time the activity in my restaurant wherever I go. Thank you

silcharde

Re: Real time reports

Post by silcharde »

You can setup a VPN to access your local network remotely.

Or you can use a handy feature already available on windows XP called: Remote Desktop.

How do I recommend to do it ? Easy!

1.- Assign a STATIC IP address to the computer where the DB is stored (Host), ask your Internet provider about Static IP Addresses.

2.- Turn ON remote desktop on that "host" computer: Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Remote and mark the option for "Remote Desktop"

3.- On the remote computer (guest) go to: All Programs > Accessories > Communications > Remote desktop connection.

4.- A login prompt will ask your for the IP address for the Host and User/Password you can use your Administrator password or any other user/pass assigned on your Host computer.

5.- After connecting you will see your Host computer desktop like if you were right in front of the computer and will be able to run anything on it, including your POS and see your reports.

I know there may be many other ways (better?) to do it, that is just one.

janrav

Post by janrav »

silcharde wrote:You can setup a VPN to access your local network remotely.

Or you can use a handy feature already available on windows XP called: Remote Desktop.

How do I recommend to do it ? Easy!

1.- Assign a STATIC IP address to the computer where the DB is stored (Host), ask your Internet provider about Static IP Addresses.

2.- Turn ON remote desktop on that "host" computer: Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Remote and mark the option for "Remote Desktop"

3.- On the remote computer (guest) go to: All Programs > Accessories > Communications > Remote desktop connection.

4.- A login prompt will ask your for the IP address for the Host and User/Password you can use your Administrator password or any other user/pass assigned on your Host computer.

5.- After connecting you will see your Host computer desktop like if you were right in front of the computer and will be able to run anything on it, including your POS and see your reports.

I know there may be many other ways (better?) to do it, that is just one.
Hi Silcharde:

Thanks for your answer. One question, I have my computers in network, is your solution the same when I configured only one pc? is it very necessary to have a static IP? my ISP gives dinamics IP's. Thnak you

silcharde

Post by silcharde »

There are services like DynDNS that will assign a unique address to one of your computers (the one connected to the internet with the PUBLIC IP)and will make the updates as needed if your IP changes so you can access your computer using that unique address.

You don't have to setup all the computers as long as you have access to one you can access all the others through your local network. You can even be remotely controlling one and from that one be remote-desktop-connected to other one your network.

Remote Computer (client) > INTERNET >
Local Computer (host) > INTRANET >
  • 2nd Local Computer (2nd host)
  • 3rd Local Computer (3rd host)
I've never used DynDNS or any service alike I couldn't tell how reliable they are what I do know is that your ISP can provide you with a Static IP address for a fee of course, AT&T does.