changing word order ?

General discussions about Advanced Find and Replace
csb

changing word order ?

Post by csb »

Dear People -

if this can be answered very quickly - I am working on this at the moment and as is my habit I will keep trying until something works . ( First , I have used AFR for years and have found it to be marvellous - very fast and very stable - my highest compliments to you ) .

I presume this can be done with regexes , about which I am clueless and apparently totally devoid of talent so if any response could be as thorough as possible this would be good .

What I am basically trying to do is change the order of fields in a text file , the date . The form is 1488.09.31. ( year/month/day with a closing period ) to 31.09.1488 ( day/month/year : also removing the first period : eventually I would like 31 Sept. 1488 , but a simple batch replace will replace the month , I need no help with that ) . There are also a few fields of the format 1488/89.09.31. , 1488-89.09.31. and a few 1488.09. ( with just the month ) . Thank you in advance for any consideration .

csb

csb

Re: changing word order ?

Post by csb »

postscript. All the years are between about 1440 and 1540 ; several of this form may occur in one line , or with any preceding or following phrase ( between x and x , not before x , the second part x ) . Also would like to delete leading zeroes in the first field , so that it would read 7 Jul. 1496 , not 07 Jul. 1496 . Thank you .

csb

csb

a solution

Post by csb »

Dear people

I did manage to do this using regexes , using two or three articles here and the help file for another program as reference . I will not post my method here at the risk of giving misleading advice . One note , the other prog used square brackets [ ] and AFR uses curved brackets ( ) .

csb