Trying to rename files after a find replace

General discussions about Advanced Find and Replace
terry4take

Trying to rename files after a find replace

Post by terry4take »

I am a new user trying to rename files after a find replace. The find replace works, but it doesn't ask me if I want to rename the file.

I am scanning production files with the find & replace, but I do not want to change them. I want to make the changes and save the file with a different name. My result should be an unchanged production file and a renamed copy with the appropriate find and replace changes. i HAVE CHECKED THE RENAME FILE, IN THE OPTIONS WINDOW. What am I missing?

Abacre
Site Admin

Post by Abacre »

AFR can rename files in Batch Replace mode.
Go to Action - Options - Batch Replace and check
"Replace in File Names" option.

Then, on main window, go to Batch Replace tab.

You may specify file name into Search For field and new file name into Replace With field.

If you want to find files to be renamed, check Just Find option on Batch Replace.

Then you may copy these production files into another folder. Then specify this folder in Search Path and uncheck "Just Find" option. AFR will rename these files.
Kind regards,
Abacre Limited
http://www.abacre.com
support@abacre.com

terry4take

Not working

Post by terry4take »

The file is renamed but I want the original file to also remain. I want to preform a find and replace within file A and save the changes in file B, leaving file A untouched. I chose create backup in the options -> advanced area, but that didn't work. I don't mind doing it in twop steps. First making a copy of the files, ( WHICH HAppen to be in different folders, by the way) , then doing the find and replace in the copies. I can't do this. Maybe someone can call me.

Terry
973-254-4082

Thank you